I will address this question shortly, but first let me explain to you what an infrared wavelength is. These are the invisible part of the sun’s spectrum consisting of near (NIR), mid (MIR) and far (FIR) rays. The infrared rays have the ability to penetrate human tissue. In a nutshell, unlike a traditional sauna, infrared saunas don’t heat the air around you (so you won’t feel like you’re cooking in an oven) and therefore, work at a much more comfortable level. It’s a similar feeling to sunbathing but unlike that, infrared heat therapy is completely healthy and safe. You can relax in an infrared sauna and it will never cause your skin to burn.
So now that we know what infrared is, how exactly does it work? The waves of light emitted from infrared saunas are able to penetrate the body and be absorbed by the tissues. This process is called “resonant absorption”, and it occurs when the frequency of the water in the body cells matches the frequency of the infrared waves. When resonant absorption occurs, toxins are released into the bloodstream and are excreted from the body. Since the body is absorbing heat, the body quickly begins to perspire and release toxins. The sweat produced from infrared saunas contains cholesterol, fat-soluble toxins, nicotine, sulfuric acid, ammonia and heavy metals such as mercury, aluminum, and arsenic, just to name a few! Normal sweat from jogging and steam saunas mostly contain water and salt (sodium chloride).
To enable infrared to penetrate tissues as deep as possible, we recommend wearing as little as possible. A bamboo carbon body wrap, cotton towel, gym shorts or swimsuit are perfect options.
Now that I’ve explained what infrared saunas are, let’s talk about the benefits. Here are the most important ones:
- Detoxifying sweat at the cellular level, where toxins reside, leaving you feeling light, refreshed and energized.
- Weight loss due to a loss of a lot of calories. A 2009 study showed Sunlighten far infrared therapy lowered weight and waist circumference in just a three-month period.*
- Lower blood pressure because of the deep sweat making the heart pump faster, which in turn increases blood flow, lowers blood pressure and helps circulation.
- Anti-aging properties due to the effective wavelength helping healing of the epidermis and dermis layers of the skin, stimulating collagen production to reduce wrinkles and improve overall skin tone.
- Enriches cellular health, aids in muscle recovery as well as a stronger immune system thanks to better blood circulation.
- Penetrates tissue, joints, and muscles to relieve anything from minor aches and pains to chronic pain conditions such as fibromyalgia, and speeds up recovery time. A 2013 study conducted at The Auburn University at Montgomery showed that Sunlighten 3-in-1 treatments can increase flexibility up to 3x.*
- Lastly, infrared saunas can help enhance the skin’s healing process by promoting faster cell regeneration and human tissue growth.
As you can see, the infrared sauna offers a lot of benefits for your body and this is why we offer it to you at Simple.Holistic.Health. Call us today to book your appointment!